Sunday, May 11, 2008

Stauffer's Cafe and Pie Shop

My usual breakfast joint is Tina's Cafe at 6th and South, but Stauffer's was on the way to an appointment this morning, so my parents and I decided to check . (I believe the hot beef sandwich is really good there.) Unfortunately, I was not as pleased with their breakfast.



Stauffer's is totally the place that your grandma wants to be: the harsh florescent lighting, the country kitchen-y decor, the pie case, the median age of the waitresses being about 53... it's a grandmother's paradise. I'm not being critical here-- I like grandma places because they remind me of my grandma and she was a kick-ass cook.



The menu was mostly various combimations of eggs, ham, bacon, potatoes, muffins, and toast. The prices ranged from $5-$8 or so. I ordered the special: ham and scrambled eggs with hashbrowns and toast for $5.50. Dad ordered a vegetarian skillet.



I'll start with a positive; the ham was very good and had a nice smoky flavor. The rest of the meal was underwhelming: watery orange juice, soggy toast, bland hash browns, and bad coffee. To be fair, Stauffer's isn't really known for their breakfast. They're known for lunch, but are even more famous for their pie. I got a piece of sour cream apple to go, and I tell you it was effin delicious.



So what did I learn this day? It worth it to go a little bit out of your way for a good breakfast-- save Stauffer's for lunch or dessert.

Edited to correct spelling-- thanks Gary.

2 comments:

Beerorkid said...

Their hot beef is awesome. It is mostly gravy, but good every time.

Gary said...

First: It's Stauffer's, with an A.

I like their breakfast casserole. I only eat there on Saturday mornings but it's a good deal and good casserole.

Don't let this review dissuade you from going for breakfast. It's still pretty good.

It's no Tina's, but it's still good.