Thursday, May 1, 2008

Grateful Bread

Grateful Bread (on South 17th between Sumner and Washington in Lincoln) has been a lunch time favorite of mine for a while now. They serve vegetarian soup, a couple choices of breads, and cookies. That's it. Nothing else. (Though they did have a sign saying that they're going to have some more veggie lunch options this summer.) Oh, and they're only open for lunch.



I went there again today and it didn't disappoint. They had five choices of soups including Moroccan tomato and a peanut soup. I got my new favorite, the Southwest Chowder. They put a ton of hand-chopped vegetables in there with a creamy broth. It's just a bit too spicy for me, but crackers make it just right. On the side, I had one of their cheese scones, which was one of the most delicious things ever. The other bread choices were French bread and an apple muffin. A generous bowl of soup and a side of bread is $4.50. I'm usually pretty full after this, so I get a peanut butter chocolate chip cookie to take home and eat later.



Their decor is eclectic to say the least. They've got fun and colorful posters and signs all over their walls, including a gigantic photo of Lincoln taken from the top of the State Capitol during the '50s. The tables are all chromed-out '50s kitchen tables with big metal colanders full of crackers, plus a few tables outside which are great on beautiful days like today.

Vegetarians and meat-eaters alike love this place. As a heads-up, they're closed on Monday and Tuesday and there are lines out the door on the weekend (although the line usually moves pretty quickly). My tip is to eat there on a Wednesday or Thursday when the lines aren't too long.

6 comments:

Swoof said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
bllloooooooooggggg said...

i love this place. I haven't had a better soup period. and the cheese scones and cookies...

pirateraven said...

I love this place... but I always went there for their Amish style cinnamon rolls... which last I checked, they no longer make. It about killed me when I found that out. NOW I have to go there for soup!

Anonymous said...

I gave up on this place. Sure, the soup, bread, and cookies are good. But it is too small, they are too damn slow, and their hours are worthless. Three people ahead of me should not take over 10 minutes when all you have to do is scoop a few bowls of soup. Ridiculous.

The soup is pretty good, but I'd much rather go someplace that can take my order right away and get to cooking on it. Because, you know, I actually have to work more than 5 hours a day unlike these hippies.

C. Starr said...

Went there this Sunday, no line whatsoever and the food was phenomenal. Oh man that cheese scone melts in your mouth too.

Bossy Chef said...

I love this place. It reminds me of home... however today I just found THREE hairs in my chili... ick. I called and they offered me free soup. It happens and she was super nice about it but I must admit my appetite is kind of ruined for the day.